It’s obvious that Donald Trump will be a disaster for our movement for a livable climate. But what if there were a way to tie his hands? Well, there is! We learned of it in mid-December and have been moving quickly to put together a social media campaign to take advantage of this amazing opportunity. Now we need your help!
In 2015, 21 children, backed by the Oregon-based organization Our Children’s Trust, sued the federal government under the Public Trust Doctrine asserting that the government had endangered their future by allowing climate change to happen. To date, the Obama administration has fought to get the lawsuit dismissed. But now, in the waning days of his administration, President Obama has a chance to tie Trump’s hands, to keep him from tearing up the Paris Agreement and so much more.
If President Obama settles the lawsuit before he leaves office, he can create a document that Trump will be legally bound to enforce. Here are some provisions that could be included:
- The U.S. will abide by the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- No new fossil fuel projects will be approved in the U.S.
- The U.S. commits to creating a sustainable energy policy and economy.
Of course, Trump will try to get around it, but it will be a powerful tool—legally, morally, and politically—for our movement to use!
How You Can Help
First, watch this two-minute video we created with other local 350 leaders around the country:
- Call the President’s office at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414 Monday–Friday, 9:00–5:00 EST. (Note that the office will be closed over the holidays.)
- Write the President. Download this letter, modify it if you wish, then print and mail it TODAY to:
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
- Email the President by filling out the online form here.
All actions help, but written letters and phone calls carry the most weight.
Next, visit our Facebook page, President Obama, Settle the Children’s Climate Lawsuit Now, and click the Like button at the top of the page. When you’ve done that, Facebook will show you a list of people you can invite to like the page—please take that opportunity to invite your friends to like the page too! (You can also use the “Invite friends to like this Page” link on the right side of the page.)
READY TO HELP EVEN MORE? Choose one or more of the options below to urge President Obama to take the most important action left to him.
- Share the video on your own timeline with a personal endorsement.
- Ask your club, association, place of worship, etc., to share the video on their Facebook page and promote it.
- Send an email with a link to the video to your friends who don’t often use Facebook.
- Donate to 350 Madison so that we can continue to organize for a livable planet.
Thank you so much! Together we can make this go viral! President Obama can be moved if enough people speak up.
Co-coordinator of 350 Madison
We need your help in 2017! Please consider 350 Madison in your seasonal giving. Now more than ever, our future depends on local grassroots activism to bring change, hope, and action from the bottom up. Help us in 2017 by giving to our year-end campaign or by becoming a sustaining member of Madison’s only local climate-focused membership organization.
Interested in getting more involved with one of the 350 Madison teams? Let us know!
Tar Sands Team: Mary Beth Elliott (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Divestment Team: Karen Pope (email@example.com)
RePower Team: Don Ferber (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Monthly Meetings Team: Julia Isaacs (email@example.com)
Welcome Team: Mike Drews (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Finance Team: Tony Gibart (email@example.com)
Communication Action Team: firstname.lastname@example.org